I just ran a new outlet to a bathroom yesterday. It's a single outlet on a GFCI circuit-breaker. It's the only thing on that breaker. Two years ago an electrician put in a kitchen outlet for me, which is also a single outlet on a single breaker (oddly, he didn't use GFCI).
It just now occurred to me that I could save a slot in my breaker box if I hung both these outlets off that new GFCI breaker that I put in yesterday. Plus, I'd get ground-faulting in the kitchen. The way the wiring's been done, this would be a trivial change to make. Does the NEC allow a 20-amp GFCI breaker to serve one outlet in a bathroom and one other outlet in a kitchen?
Well, I managed to grab a look at the NEC over lunch, and it's pretty clear that the answer to my question is "no". That's too bad. I hate to waste two panel slots for just two outlets, but I guess that's just what you have to live with when you add outlets in a onesy-twosy fashion.
two electrical sockets not working on same wall-- no...
High electric bill--too much on one circuit?
loss of electric on one circuit
No Power to Outlet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps