I just ran a new outlet to a bathroom yesterday. It's a single outlet on a GFCI circuit-breaker. It's the only thing on that breaker. Two years ago an electrician put in a kitchen outlet for me, which is also a single outlet on a single breaker (oddly, he didn't use GFCI).
It just now occurred to me that I could save a slot in my breaker box if I hung both these outlets off that new GFCI breaker that I put in yesterday. Plus, I'd get ground-faulting in the kitchen. The way the wiring's been done, this would be a trivial change to make. Does the NEC allow a 20-amp GFCI breaker to serve one outlet in a bathroom and one other outlet in a kitchen?
Well, I managed to grab a look at the NEC over lunch, and it's pretty clear that the answer to my question is "no". That's too bad. I hate to waste two panel slots for just two outlets, but I guess that's just what you have to live with when you add outlets in a onesy-twosy fashion.
two electrical sockets not working on same wall-- no...
High electric bill--too much on one circuit?
loss of electric on one circuit
No Power to Outlet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs