I just ran a new outlet to a bathroom yesterday. It's a single outlet on a GFCI circuit-breaker. It's the only thing on that breaker. Two years ago an electrician put in a kitchen outlet for me, which is also a single outlet on a single breaker (oddly, he didn't use GFCI).
It just now occurred to me that I could save a slot in my breaker box if I hung both these outlets off that new GFCI breaker that I put in yesterday. Plus, I'd get ground-faulting in the kitchen. The way the wiring's been done, this would be a trivial change to make. Does the NEC allow a 20-amp GFCI breaker to serve one outlet in a bathroom and one other outlet in a kitchen?
Well, I managed to grab a look at the NEC over lunch, and it's pretty clear that the answer to my question is "no". That's too bad. I hate to waste two panel slots for just two outlets, but I guess that's just what you have to live with when you add outlets in a onesy-twosy fashion.
two electrical sockets not working on same wall-- no...
High electric bill--too much on one circuit?
loss of electric on one circuit
No Power to Outlet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!