I currently have a box with an empty switch - the top goes to a ceiling fan on the back porch and I hooked the bottom (empty) to a flood light - the problem is when I turn on one - they both come on. Also in the box is a dimmer switch.
The way it's wired: all white wires are connected - the black from the breaker goes to one screw on the top switch (fan) then into a pigtail split to the black for the dimmer and to the bottom switch (flood). The black wire from the fan and flood are on the respective switch - opposite the black from the breaker.
What's wrong with this setup - is it possible for the wiring to be right and the switch to have some sort of jummper?? that would allow current to the fan when the flood switch is on - even with the fan switch off? Please Help!! Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you have a duplex switch. The line side is hooked up the the load side and vice versa, reverse the feed and loads, and see what happens.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes