I currently have a box with an empty switch - the top goes to a ceiling fan on the back porch and I hooked the bottom (empty) to a flood light - the problem is when I turn on one - they both come on. Also in the box is a dimmer switch.
The way it's wired: all white wires are connected - the black from the breaker goes to one screw on the top switch (fan) then into a pigtail split to the black for the dimmer and to the bottom switch (flood). The black wire from the fan and flood are on the respective switch - opposite the black from the breaker.
What's wrong with this setup - is it possible for the wiring to be right and the switch to have some sort of jummper?? that would allow current to the fan when the flood switch is on - even with the fan switch off? Please Help!! Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you have a duplex switch. The line side is hooked up the the load side and vice versa, reverse the feed and loads, and see what happens.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?