My breaker panel has several available slots that I want to use for additional circuits, bus the neutral bus bar is almost out of available holes. An electrician previously put two ground wires (12g or 14g) in one hole and this looks fine to me as the hole is plenty big enough and the set screw is plenty strong enough to clamp down on multiple wires at the same time. Is there any reason I should not do more of this? Is there any reason I should not put two (white) neutral wires in the same hole?
You should not put two wires on one screw. The reason being is that if you must disconnect one you will be loosening the other which may have a load on the neutral. If it is a ground, you need a continouus path to ground uninterupted by removing another device. You can probably put in a ground bar kit available at supply houses and home centers. There are probably threaded holes in the panel available for this. Then you can put your grounds on the ground bar and free up your neutral.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!