My breaker panel has several available slots that I want to use for additional circuits, bus the neutral bus bar is almost out of available holes. An electrician previously put two ground wires (12g or 14g) in one hole and this looks fine to me as the hole is plenty big enough and the set screw is plenty strong enough to clamp down on multiple wires at the same time. Is there any reason I should not do more of this? Is there any reason I should not put two (white) neutral wires in the same hole?
You should not put two wires on one screw. The reason being is that if you must disconnect one you will be loosening the other which may have a load on the neutral. If it is a ground, you need a continouus path to ground uninterupted by removing another device. You can probably put in a ground bar kit available at supply houses and home centers. There are probably threaded holes in the panel available for this. Then you can put your grounds on the ground bar and free up your neutral.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes