Recently, I popped in a GFCI breaker to protect a kitchen-counter outlet that until now has not been GFCI protected. That outlet is the only outlet on the breaker. The white wire from the breaker is stranded. Is it ok to stick that stranded wire in the neutral bus with all the other neutral wires? Is it ok to screw down a stranded wire?
As long as the screw is rated for the wire it is ok to screw the stranded wire. Usually the new panels are the compression type which will be fine. If it is on an older panel with a threaded screw into a neutral bar, then you would have to use a lug on the end.
My neutral bar has threaded screws. You stick the wire straight into a slot, tighten the screw down, and the screw compresses the wire into the slot.
disconnected neutral wire
GFCI Receptacle or GFCI Breaker?
Installing a 50 Amp GFCI breaker for use with Hot tub.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers