Recently, I popped in a GFCI breaker to protect a kitchen-counter outlet that until now has not been GFCI protected. That outlet is the only outlet on the breaker. The white wire from the breaker is stranded. Is it ok to stick that stranded wire in the neutral bus with all the other neutral wires? Is it ok to screw down a stranded wire?
As long as the screw is rated for the wire it is ok to screw the stranded wire. Usually the new panels are the compression type which will be fine. If it is on an older panel with a threaded screw into a neutral bar, then you would have to use a lug on the end.
My neutral bar has threaded screws. You stick the wire straight into a slot, tighten the screw down, and the screw compresses the wire into the slot.
disconnected neutral wire
GFCI Receptacle or GFCI Breaker?
Installing a 50 Amp GFCI breaker for use with Hot tub.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size