Recently, I popped in a GFCI breaker to protect a kitchen-counter outlet that until now has not been GFCI protected. That outlet is the only outlet on the breaker. The white wire from the breaker is stranded. Is it ok to stick that stranded wire in the neutral bus with all the other neutral wires? Is it ok to screw down a stranded wire?
As long as the screw is rated for the wire it is ok to screw the stranded wire. Usually the new panels are the compression type which will be fine. If it is on an older panel with a threaded screw into a neutral bar, then you would have to use a lug on the end.
My neutral bar has threaded screws. You stick the wire straight into a slot, tighten the screw down, and the screw compresses the wire into the slot.
disconnected neutral wire
GFCI Receptacle or GFCI Breaker?
Installing a 50 Amp GFCI breaker for use with Hot tub.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees