Recently, I popped in a GFCI breaker to protect a kitchen-counter outlet that until now has not been GFCI protected. That outlet is the only outlet on the breaker. The white wire from the breaker is stranded. Is it ok to stick that stranded wire in the neutral bus with all the other neutral wires? Is it ok to screw down a stranded wire?
As long as the screw is rated for the wire it is ok to screw the stranded wire. Usually the new panels are the compression type which will be fine. If it is on an older panel with a threaded screw into a neutral bar, then you would have to use a lug on the end.
My neutral bar has threaded screws. You stick the wire straight into a slot, tighten the screw down, and the screw compresses the wire into the slot.
disconnected neutral wire
GFCI Receptacle or GFCI Breaker?
Installing a 50 Amp GFCI breaker for use with Hot tub.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs