I'm changing 2 prong outlets to 3 prong. The house was built in 1957. The boxes are grounded as there is the bare wire coming into the box and wraping around the screw in the back.
Whats the best way to ground the new receptables? a self grounding receptable or a wire from the green screw on the receptable to the screw in the back of the box (where the grounding is attached)?
As long as the ground wire is attached to the box, the box is metal, the mounting screws go directly to the box, the metal of the receptacle will touch the box when screwed tight ,then you should be good. If there is a gap and you have to shim the receptacle, then you will need additional ground conection. There are specification grade receptacles which have a ground spring at the mounting screw. You can also use the ground jumper to the back of the box, but only one wire on the screw, so you may have to pigtail.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!