I'm changing 2 prong outlets to 3 prong. The house was built in 1957. The boxes are grounded as there is the bare wire coming into the box and wraping around the screw in the back.
Whats the best way to ground the new receptables? a self grounding receptable or a wire from the green screw on the receptable to the screw in the back of the box (where the grounding is attached)?
As long as the ground wire is attached to the box, the box is metal, the mounting screws go directly to the box, the metal of the receptacle will touch the box when screwed tight ,then you should be good. If there is a gap and you have to shim the receptacle, then you will need additional ground conection. There are specification grade receptacles which have a ground spring at the mounting screw. You can also use the ground jumper to the back of the box, but only one wire on the screw, so you may have to pigtail.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?