Help. My mother and I rewired a mess of wires under the ceiling fan to fix an outlet and outside light that did not have any power. The outlet works fine, but the light is a mess. When we turn the circuit breaker on, the light comes on, but when we try to turn the light off at the switch the circuit breaker trips.
It sounds like you have wired it so that when the switch is supposed be turning off the light it is actually turning on the switch and the wiring is such that it is shorting out the 115V from the panel. It is common to run a single cable from a light fixture to the switch and wire it so that one lead is the "hot" lead and the other is the switched lead back from the switch. (The "white" lead from the switch is not really a neutral wire but a switched hot lead. When I wire a switch this way I always color code the white wire with colored tape. no questions about it being a neutral then.) You need to trce out where all the wires go from the box that you did the rewiring in and then see if you can do what you want.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes