Help. My mother and I rewired a mess of wires under the ceiling fan to fix an outlet and outside light that did not have any power. The outlet works fine, but the light is a mess. When we turn the circuit breaker on, the light comes on, but when we try to turn the light off at the switch the circuit breaker trips.
It sounds like you have wired it so that when the switch is supposed be turning off the light it is actually turning on the switch and the wiring is such that it is shorting out the 115V from the panel. It is common to run a single cable from a light fixture to the switch and wire it so that one lead is the "hot" lead and the other is the switched lead back from the switch. (The "white" lead from the switch is not really a neutral wire but a switched hot lead. When I wire a switch this way I always color code the white wire with colored tape. no questions about it being a neutral then.) You need to trce out where all the wires go from the box that you did the rewiring in and then see if you can do what you want.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!