I have recently removed a wall bisecting a room containing two 120V outlets and a overhad light switch. I am now left with wires, outlets and a switch box which need to be removed.
Before demolition of the wall I shut off all power to the switch and outlets in that room at the power panel.
I would now like to cut the wiring and pull the cables back into the cellar for the outlets and into the ceiling for the switch.
How do I deadend the wires safely>
The wall switch is one of two in the room. One switch should remain live when I'm done. The oulets are no longer needed.
Pull the cables back as you describe. Intall a junction box on the end of each one. Put a wire nut on the end of each insulated conductor. Attach the ground wire to the box (if there is a ground wire). Put on the cover.
15 amp outlets in a 20 amp circuit
Adding More Outlets in Kitchen
Outlets in bathrooms
Changed outlets in bedroom now switch won't turn any...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!