I have an outlet that is 110. I have a washer that is 120V and 10 amp. and a gas dryer that is 120V and 6 amp.
I don't know what the circuit is (15...?) I don't think I can run both of them at the same time off the same receptacle but can I run these machines safely at all since the outlet is 110, but the machines are 120V? If so, does each machine need it's own receptacle, or can I just operate them by not running them at the same time (from same receptacle)?
Please advise. Thanks.
It is safe to run your appliances on that voltage. 110 and 120 are essentially the same thing. Normal line voltage varies from 110 to 130 votls. 115-120 is normal. Unless the circuit is a 20 amp I don't think you can run them both at the same time.
Thank you for this very clearly explained reply. Not trying to be dumber than a bag of rocks--Question-- how do I tell how many amps the circuit is?
Find the breaker that controls that receptacle, the size is usually marked on the end of the handle.
Was Basic Elec. Question-- How to determine circuit ...
Newbie - Electrical Question
Installing a 250v receptacle
Replacing old fixture with plug
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates