I have an outlet that is 110. I have a washer that is 120V and 10 amp. and a gas dryer that is 120V and 6 amp.
I don't know what the circuit is (15...?) I don't think I can run both of them at the same time off the same receptacle but can I run these machines safely at all since the outlet is 110, but the machines are 120V? If so, does each machine need it's own receptacle, or can I just operate them by not running them at the same time (from same receptacle)?
Please advise. Thanks.
It is safe to run your appliances on that voltage. 110 and 120 are essentially the same thing. Normal line voltage varies from 110 to 130 votls. 115-120 is normal. Unless the circuit is a 20 amp I don't think you can run them both at the same time.
Thank you for this very clearly explained reply. Not trying to be dumber than a bag of rocks--Question-- how do I tell how many amps the circuit is?
Find the breaker that controls that receptacle, the size is usually marked on the end of the handle.
Was Basic Elec. Question-- How to determine circuit ...
Newbie - Electrical Question
Installing a 250v receptacle
Replacing old fixture with plug
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps