I have an outlet that is 110. I have a washer that is 120V and 10 amp. and a gas dryer that is 120V and 6 amp.
I don't know what the circuit is (15...?) I don't think I can run both of them at the same time off the same receptacle but can I run these machines safely at all since the outlet is 110, but the machines are 120V? If so, does each machine need it's own receptacle, or can I just operate them by not running them at the same time (from same receptacle)?
Please advise. Thanks.
It is safe to run your appliances on that voltage. 110 and 120 are essentially the same thing. Normal line voltage varies from 110 to 130 votls. 115-120 is normal. Unless the circuit is a 20 amp I don't think you can run them both at the same time.
Thank you for this very clearly explained reply. Not trying to be dumber than a bag of rocks--Question-- how do I tell how many amps the circuit is?
Find the breaker that controls that receptacle, the size is usually marked on the end of the handle.
Was Basic Elec. Question-- How to determine circuit ...
Newbie - Electrical Question
Installing a 250v receptacle
Replacing old fixture with plug
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight