I have an outlet that is 110. I have a washer that is 120V and 10 amp. and a gas dryer that is 120V and 6 amp.
I don't know what the circuit is (15...?) I don't think I can run both of them at the same time off the same receptacle but can I run these machines safely at all since the outlet is 110, but the machines are 120V? If so, does each machine need it's own receptacle, or can I just operate them by not running them at the same time (from same receptacle)?
Please advise. Thanks.
It is safe to run your appliances on that voltage. 110 and 120 are essentially the same thing. Normal line voltage varies from 110 to 130 votls. 115-120 is normal. Unless the circuit is a 20 amp I don't think you can run them both at the same time.
Thank you for this very clearly explained reply. Not trying to be dumber than a bag of rocks--Question-- how do I tell how many amps the circuit is?
Find the breaker that controls that receptacle, the size is usually marked on the end of the handle.
Was Basic Elec. Question-- How to determine circuit ...
Newbie - Electrical Question
Installing a 250v receptacle
Replacing old fixture with plug
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?