Recently I tried replacing an old 3-way switch in the kitchen. Once I replaced the switch with a new one, nothing worked. I also found out that the switch box feeds the bathroom and one of the bedrooms. I removed the switch and checked the wiring with a meter and found only 53VAC. I moved a few wires around, and now I have no voltage! The wiring in the house is 50 years old and insulated with a cloth-type of material which is disintergrating. I did not move the wires too much for fear of damaging the wiring, but it looks like I did something. I can't figure out what is going on. The circuit is o.k. and did not trip, but I know there is juice leaving the breaker. Can someone help me.
I've been thinking on this and here is what I would check. Check the breaker with a meter to ensure that the breaker is good. Reset any GFCI receptacles that may be on this circuit (there aren't supposed to be any, but that doesn't mean there aren't). If this doesn't work check for continuity across the line. It is possible that a rodent could have weakend the line and it broke or burned apart. If none of these are it call an electrician.
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi !!!
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi !!!
low voltage outdoor lighting
How to Replacing Low-Voltage fixtures with High Hats
Dimmer switch on low voltage lights possible?
No Lights -- Low Voltage Electricity
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees