Recently I tried replacing an old 3-way switch in the kitchen. Once I replaced the switch with a new one, nothing worked. I also found out that the switch box feeds the bathroom and one of the bedrooms. I removed the switch and checked the wiring with a meter and found only 53VAC. I moved a few wires around, and now I have no voltage! The wiring in the house is 50 years old and insulated with a cloth-type of material which is disintergrating. I did not move the wires too much for fear of damaging the wiring, but it looks like I did something. I can't figure out what is going on. The circuit is o.k. and did not trip, but I know there is juice leaving the breaker. Can someone help me.
I've been thinking on this and here is what I would check. Check the breaker with a meter to ensure that the breaker is good. Reset any GFCI receptacles that may be on this circuit (there aren't supposed to be any, but that doesn't mean there aren't). If this doesn't work check for continuity across the line. It is possible that a rodent could have weakend the line and it broke or burned apart. If none of these are it call an electrician.
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi !!!
U.S.M.C. Semper Fi !!!
low voltage outdoor lighting
How to Replacing Low-Voltage fixtures with High Hats
Dimmer switch on low voltage lights possible?
No Lights -- Low Voltage Electricity
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes