I have deck with a solarium in the middle. The floor of the solarium is the same as the deck. Now I have wet and rotten wood in the walls. I think I am having a wicking problem, drywall is wet, and now the lower framing must be removed. How can i stop this from happening again.
Thanks in advance for some help.
I would think the water is running down the outer walls of the solarium and then under the wall. Water could be running across the deck to the wall. If you're reframing, put a seal under the frame against the deck. I think the material they use on new houses between the frame and foundation is what you want. It's a thin layer of the foam about 4 to 6 inches wide. Otherwise you need to caulk around the exterior edge of the frame. Depending on the location of decking gaps, you could use flashing that is fitted into the gap to put the water under the decking.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?