I have deck with a solarium in the middle. The floor of the solarium is the same as the deck. Now I have wet and rotten wood in the walls. I think I am having a wicking problem, drywall is wet, and now the lower framing must be removed. How can i stop this from happening again.
Thanks in advance for some help.
I would think the water is running down the outer walls of the solarium and then under the wall. Water could be running across the deck to the wall. If you're reframing, put a seal under the frame against the deck. I think the material they use on new houses between the frame and foundation is what you want. It's a thin layer of the foam about 4 to 6 inches wide. Otherwise you need to caulk around the exterior edge of the frame. Depending on the location of decking gaps, you could use flashing that is fitted into the gap to put the water under the decking.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes