After completing the plywood on the roof, what type of tape strip should be put down over the plywood seams to eliminate water leaks?
The standard is to cover all the plywood with tar paper. Start at the bottom, lay across the slope and overlap by 3 to 4 inches. You need to keep water off the plywood since wet wood won't dry under the shingles, it will rot. Usually 1/4" or so gaps are left open between sheets of plywood to account for temperature and humdity expansion, and any settling of the roof. You don't want the plywood binding and pulling away from the rafters.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!