I went to plug in a vcr to a wall outlet and there was a popping sound and now there's some black markings on the face plate.
What is this called? Blowing a fuse? Please advise what occurred.
I won't be using that outlet anymore.
Until I have this looked at, is there any risk in using the outlet that sits right above it and so far seems okay? Please advise what risks are involved until I can get it looked at next week? Thanks!
i'm no electrician, but it sounds like that outlet has partialy shorted out and the black marks are the result. if it were me, i'd find the fuse/breaker for that outlet and turn off the power. if it is shorted, it could possibly cause a fire. [may sound drastic, but better safe then sorry]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight