We have 3 outlets in our kitchen which are all connected to a 4th GFI outlet. One of the outlets is at the end of our kitchen island, which contains our dishwasher. All of a sudden, every time we open the dishwasher door to load/unload, the GFI outlet trips!
Any ideas what might be causing the problem?
By the way, we've been in this house for 2 1/2 years (new construction) and it's just now started to trip. No changes to the dishwasher or outlets have been made since we've been there...
I am taking for granted that the dishwasher is on a separate circuit from the island gfi, at least it should be. My first thought is that the wiring going to the receptacle on the island by the dishwasher was installed with the cable running past the diswasher and each time the door was opened there was some movement of the dishwasher against this cable until it was damaged and now trips the gfi. Take the bottom plate off the dishwasher and see if you can see the cable going to the island receptacle. Then check it for damage where it may be touching the dishwasher. Hope this helps.
there is a switch for the door to stop your dishwasher if you try to open it- could there be a problem with the wires to it or the switch is grounding out???? that would be my guess.
If the four duplex recepticles (first one being GFCI, and the three that follow) were "cheated" then the movement of the door, as the diswasher is strapped to the counter above, and prolly has a backsplash glued to the wall, could be transmitting enuf movement to cause the GFCI to trip. GFCI recepticles are only allowed to be "back stabbed" meaning the wires are stabbed into the back of the outlet instead of screwed onto the correct side screws, if they are solitary or end-of-run. If they are providing GFCI protection to the remaining three recepticles, it should be post wired (on the screws). That could be the problem. (UL references that are cited in NEC), none of those recepticles should be back-stabbed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!