We have 3 outlets in our kitchen which are all connected to a 4th GFI outlet. One of the outlets is at the end of our kitchen island, which contains our dishwasher. All of a sudden, every time we open the dishwasher door to load/unload, the GFI outlet trips!
Any ideas what might be causing the problem?
By the way, we've been in this house for 2 1/2 years (new construction) and it's just now started to trip. No changes to the dishwasher or outlets have been made since we've been there...
I am taking for granted that the dishwasher is on a separate circuit from the island gfi, at least it should be. My first thought is that the wiring going to the receptacle on the island by the dishwasher was installed with the cable running past the diswasher and each time the door was opened there was some movement of the dishwasher against this cable until it was damaged and now trips the gfi. Take the bottom plate off the dishwasher and see if you can see the cable going to the island receptacle. Then check it for damage where it may be touching the dishwasher. Hope this helps.
there is a switch for the door to stop your dishwasher if you try to open it- could there be a problem with the wires to it or the switch is grounding out???? that would be my guess.
If the four duplex recepticles (first one being GFCI, and the three that follow) were "cheated" then the movement of the door, as the diswasher is strapped to the counter above, and prolly has a backsplash glued to the wall, could be transmitting enuf movement to cause the GFCI to trip. GFCI recepticles are only allowed to be "back stabbed" meaning the wires are stabbed into the back of the outlet instead of screwed onto the correct side screws, if they are solitary or end-of-run. If they are providing GFCI protection to the remaining three recepticles, it should be post wired (on the screws). That could be the problem. (UL references that are cited in NEC), none of those recepticles should be back-stabbed.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight