We have 3 outlets in our kitchen which are all connected to a 4th GFI outlet. One of the outlets is at the end of our kitchen island, which contains our dishwasher. All of a sudden, every time we open the dishwasher door to load/unload, the GFI outlet trips!
Any ideas what might be causing the problem?
By the way, we've been in this house for 2 1/2 years (new construction) and it's just now started to trip. No changes to the dishwasher or outlets have been made since we've been there...
I am taking for granted that the dishwasher is on a separate circuit from the island gfi, at least it should be. My first thought is that the wiring going to the receptacle on the island by the dishwasher was installed with the cable running past the diswasher and each time the door was opened there was some movement of the dishwasher against this cable until it was damaged and now trips the gfi. Take the bottom plate off the dishwasher and see if you can see the cable going to the island receptacle. Then check it for damage where it may be touching the dishwasher. Hope this helps.
there is a switch for the door to stop your dishwasher if you try to open it- could there be a problem with the wires to it or the switch is grounding out???? that would be my guess.
If the four duplex recepticles (first one being GFCI, and the three that follow) were "cheated" then the movement of the door, as the diswasher is strapped to the counter above, and prolly has a backsplash glued to the wall, could be transmitting enuf movement to cause the GFCI to trip. GFCI recepticles are only allowed to be "back stabbed" meaning the wires are stabbed into the back of the outlet instead of screwed onto the correct side screws, if they are solitary or end-of-run. If they are providing GFCI protection to the remaining three recepticles, it should be post wired (on the screws). That could be the problem. (UL references that are cited in NEC), none of those recepticles should be back-stabbed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY