Knocking out a garage door
I have a one car garage, underneath my house. The garage door is standard size, when lifted it slide up across the ceiling. I want to remove it and put up a permanent wall, turning this room into a bedroom. The surrounding wall outside is concrete, the inside wall is finished with plaster. I want one window in the new wall. The exterior appearance is not that important, but of course the inside is. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You will need to frame a wall where the opening is to close the opening and give you an interior wall. Standard framing techniques will work but check with the building dept. for local codes. The wall should be the same thickness as the concrete wall and will need to be insulated and sheathed to match face of the outside and inside walls. The window can be framed in at thid point. It can then be drywalled and finished inside.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes