Hi, as I confessed on another post, I changed switches and outlets without marking wires. I know, I know....
I just bought this house and don't know what the switches activate. On one switch, I think I found the outlet which must be switched, 3-wire sheathed electrical cable pigtailed etc. I connected the wire coming off the pigtail to the hot side of the outlet and the whites to the neutral side and broke the tab on the hot side. All I did was kill half the outlet. The load side outlets still have power but the switch does nothing. Any ideas what I might try?
On the other switches, I have no clue what they do. No other plug has more than a line in and line out configuration. How would an electrician approach deducing what these switches do? btw, the switches in question are single pole and mounted in the same box.
Go to the dollar store and buy nightlights, plug them in everywhere, and hit the switches... save yourself a lot of time! good luck
If you would explain what wires are where better a person could easily tell you what to tie together. Describe how many cables and how many wires are in each cable for each box (switch or receptacle). Does the switch just turn on from one place (says on-off on it) and is it a single switch in the wall.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
Wiring a programmable timer switch
help with wiring for wall light fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps