I recently asked my electrician to replace all of the non-IC cans he installed, on the top floor of my house, with air tight ones (20 in all). Once he completed the job I noticed that all of the cans were for r30 bulbs. I had r40 bulbs, so they are all protruding about 1/4 in. All of the lights are 60 watt halogens. Other than the way they look, is there anything to be concerned about? I don‚Äôt believe there are any IC r40 cans on the market. So, I am considering having him change all of them back to the non-IC and just put an insulated barrier around each one in the attic.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
One additional piece of info... I am planning on adding insulation to my attic and would have like to be able to cover the cans.
Look inside the can, there shgould be a label that has all of the acceptable trims, lamp type & wattage combinations. If an R40 lamp is not one of the listed lamps, my advice would be not to use the lamp & change to one of the lamps that is listed on the label.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes