I recently asked my electrician to replace all of the non-IC cans he installed, on the top floor of my house, with air tight ones (20 in all). Once he completed the job I noticed that all of the cans were for r30 bulbs. I had r40 bulbs, so they are all protruding about 1/4 in. All of the lights are 60 watt halogens. Other than the way they look, is there anything to be concerned about? I don‚Äôt believe there are any IC r40 cans on the market. So, I am considering having him change all of them back to the non-IC and just put an insulated barrier around each one in the attic.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
One additional piece of info... I am planning on adding insulation to my attic and would have like to be able to cover the cans.
Look inside the can, there shgould be a label that has all of the acceptable trims, lamp type & wattage combinations. If an R40 lamp is not one of the listed lamps, my advice would be not to use the lamp & change to one of the lamps that is listed on the label.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!