I would like to remove 2 wall sconces from my living room. However, after I took the fixtures down, I didn't realize there would be 2 wire receptacles? that would need to be sealed up. How do I close up the 2 holes that are left after removing the fixtures? Thanks, I'm new at this stuff!
To follow the National Electric Code and to be safe, the fixture boxes cannot be plastered over. As long as live wires remain in the box it must remain accessible (even if they are switched off). This means that you may install an UL approved cover but you cannot seal it from access. If the unused wires are removed altogether, the holes may be patched over. However, this may be harder than it appears and may affect other outlets or lights elsewhere in the house. The wires and boxes could be relocated to the attic (which is generally considered by the NEC to be accessible) but may require someone with a good working knowledge of electrical systems. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes