vent pipe flashing
Yes, you can use an asphalt-based caulk around where the pipe 'meets' the flashing. I usually go up on my roof once a year (when I have the ladder out) to inspect my chimmney and stacks.
Visit you local Home Center for the asphalt caulk. Make sure it's REAL dry when you apply it. Also, you'll want to kinda 'smear' the caulk around a little to work it into any grooves or cracks you caulk. And be careful not to break any shingles.
Oh, my assumptions: You have asphalt/fiberglass shingles, and you're 'comfortable' in your mind to go up on the roof.
At worst, you can replace the 'cowl' that goes over the pipe if it still leaks. And while you're up there too, put a dab or 2 under the surrounding shingles (and press down) to keep those shingles down in a strong wind (especially while it's raining.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!