vent pipe flashing
Yes, you can use an asphalt-based caulk around where the pipe 'meets' the flashing. I usually go up on my roof once a year (when I have the ladder out) to inspect my chimmney and stacks.
Visit you local Home Center for the asphalt caulk. Make sure it's REAL dry when you apply it. Also, you'll want to kinda 'smear' the caulk around a little to work it into any grooves or cracks you caulk. And be careful not to break any shingles.
Oh, my assumptions: You have asphalt/fiberglass shingles, and you're 'comfortable' in your mind to go up on the roof.
At worst, you can replace the 'cowl' that goes over the pipe if it still leaks. And while you're up there too, put a dab or 2 under the surrounding shingles (and press down) to keep those shingles down in a strong wind (especially while it's raining.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?