vent pipe flashing
Yes, you can use an asphalt-based caulk around where the pipe 'meets' the flashing. I usually go up on my roof once a year (when I have the ladder out) to inspect my chimmney and stacks.
Visit you local Home Center for the asphalt caulk. Make sure it's REAL dry when you apply it. Also, you'll want to kinda 'smear' the caulk around a little to work it into any grooves or cracks you caulk. And be careful not to break any shingles.
Oh, my assumptions: You have asphalt/fiberglass shingles, and you're 'comfortable' in your mind to go up on the roof.
At worst, you can replace the 'cowl' that goes over the pipe if it still leaks. And while you're up there too, put a dab or 2 under the surrounding shingles (and press down) to keep those shingles down in a strong wind (especially while it's raining.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!