I am the first to admit I know *nothing* about home repair. I just bought a house this past summer. It seems that there is a lightbulb popping and burning out every week. One bulb (outdoor spot) I changed in July has already burnt out.
A few of the fixtures in the house don't work, i.e. they just stopped working, nothing wrong with the bulbs.
The previous owners of the home were major DIY people and completely removated the place. It was only built in 1989, so it's not old. The inspector had asked me to have an electrician verify many of the "Mickey Mouse" electrical work he spotted...all this was done (boxes put on pot lights, loose wiring cleared up, outlets properly installed, etc) However, I get the feeling that the entire house has to be looked at, since it's just not normal to have so many issues with lighting fixtures. There are several "dead" sockets in the wall, and many light switches that don't connect to anything.
I also had an incident this summer where the sump pump caught fire (electrical fire).
If I google this topic, basically it seems my house is haunted...LOL...but there has to be another underlying reason. Any tips?
I would advise you to have that electrician come back and check all of the house wiring. If you had issues with "mickey mouse" wiring that the inspector caught, then there is a good chance you have many more problems. The problems you cite are consistent with problems encountered when unknowledgable DIY's attempt electrical work. Loose wires, poor connections, improper terminations are just a few of the possibilities.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs