I am the first to admit I know *nothing* about home repair. I just bought a house this past summer. It seems that there is a lightbulb popping and burning out every week. One bulb (outdoor spot) I changed in July has already burnt out.
A few of the fixtures in the house don't work, i.e. they just stopped working, nothing wrong with the bulbs.
The previous owners of the home were major DIY people and completely removated the place. It was only built in 1989, so it's not old. The inspector had asked me to have an electrician verify many of the "Mickey Mouse" electrical work he spotted...all this was done (boxes put on pot lights, loose wiring cleared up, outlets properly installed, etc) However, I get the feeling that the entire house has to be looked at, since it's just not normal to have so many issues with lighting fixtures. There are several "dead" sockets in the wall, and many light switches that don't connect to anything.
I also had an incident this summer where the sump pump caught fire (electrical fire).
If I google this topic, basically it seems my house is haunted...LOL...but there has to be another underlying reason. Any tips?
I would advise you to have that electrician come back and check all of the house wiring. If you had issues with "mickey mouse" wiring that the inspector caught, then there is a good chance you have many more problems. The problems you cite are consistent with problems encountered when unknowledgable DIY's attempt electrical work. Loose wires, poor connections, improper terminations are just a few of the possibilities.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight