I'm replacing our kitchen countertop 20-amp small appliance outlet with a GFCI outlet. This outlet is the only item this circuit.
I removed the old outlet to find only two wires, the red hot wire and the white return wire. The box is metal, connected by flexible armored cable and metal conduit to the service panel (so I assume that connection is the only ground).
But ... there's no grounding terminal in the outlet box for me to wire the GFCI's green grounding terminal to.
The GFCI installation instructions do not state whether it is necessary for the receptacle's grounding terminal to be attached to 'something' for it to function properly.
Should I 'create' a grouding terminal in the box myself by driving a screw into one of the small holes in the back of the box?
Or will screwing the GFCI to the box create a sufficient ground connection?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs