Installing a new 2005 20 amp 120v/240v Siemens GFCI breaker in a full 1977 GE 200 amp breaker panel for a boathouse (8/3 with ground wire) to replace a similar 1995 GFCI breaker.
The boatlift motor is wired as 220v, and there is a 110v lighting circuit and a 110v receptacle circuit in the boathouse, with a shared neutral for the 110v circuits and shared ground for all.
There are three busses in the panel. I am assuming that if I connect the ground to one buss (on right) and the neutral to another buss (one of two on left)that it won't trip the GFCI? (There are other neutrals and grounds connected to the two on left, but only grounds on right buss.)
(Not a pro electrician, just a long-time DIYer. Comfortable working in panel.)
The new breaker should be connected just like the old one was. The neutral from the breaker is connected to the neutral buss, the neutral from the boathouse panel is connected to the neutral terminal on the breaker, and the two hots are connected to the two hot terminals on the breaker. The neutral and ground busses at the boathouse panel must be separate and the neutral isolated from the panel enclosure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!