I've added a circuit for an electric dryer in my basement. The 4-post receptacle I installed is about six feet from the breaker box, connected by 10-gauge stranded wire (two hot, one neutral, and a ground) through flexible conduit.
The dryer started, but tripped the breaker after running several minutes. I reset the breaker and again after several minutes it tripped.
I was convinced that there was a short somewhere in my wiring until I looked at the instruction book and saw a picture of the breaker ...
I'd installed a double-pole GE breaker for this 30 amp circuit. It had "15A" written beside each switch (15 + 15 + 30 amps, right?)
But, the picture in my wiring book is of someone holding a double pole breaker with "30" written on each switch.
Did I install a breaker for only half the required amperage? The 10-gauge red & black wires should EACH be able to carry 30 amps, right?
I'm just afraid of putting-in a breaker that's too big and starting a fire if there really is a short somewhere.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps