I've added a circuit for an electric dryer in my basement. The 4-post receptacle I installed is about six feet from the breaker box, connected by 10-gauge stranded wire (two hot, one neutral, and a ground) through flexible conduit.
The dryer started, but tripped the breaker after running several minutes. I reset the breaker and again after several minutes it tripped.
I was convinced that there was a short somewhere in my wiring until I looked at the instruction book and saw a picture of the breaker ...
I'd installed a double-pole GE breaker for this 30 amp circuit. It had "15A" written beside each switch (15 + 15 + 30 amps, right?)
But, the picture in my wiring book is of someone holding a double pole breaker with "30" written on each switch.
Did I install a breaker for only half the required amperage? The 10-gauge red & black wires should EACH be able to carry 30 amps, right?
I'm just afraid of putting-in a breaker that's too big and starting a fire if there really is a short somewhere.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees