I am trying to run a bathroom fan and light on seperate switches. Currently, they run at the same time when the switch is on. Here are my circumstances:
Inside the switch box, I have three black wires, three white wires, and three ground wires.
Two of the blacks are wire-tied together, and a single wire from that wire tie is going into one terminal of the switch.
The third black wire is connected to the other terminal of the switch.
The three white wires are wire-tied together, and not connected to the switch.
The ground is connected to the ground (they are tied to one as well).
I am unsure how to seperate the loads. I bought a switch that is essentially a 2 in one. It has a spot for a "common" wire on one side, and two connectors on the other side. It has two switches on it. Do you need more information to help, or is this enough?
Oh, additionally, when I only hooked one of the two black wires (wire-tied together) to the switch, and the 3rd black wire to the other terminal of the switch, both the light and the fan worked at the same time.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- wiring bathroom fan and light to run seperately (a little different from earlier scenario)
From your description, it appears you will need another wire to run the fan and light separately. What you have is one set of wires bringing power in, one set of wires carrying power out to other points (these have the two blacks tied together), and one set that feeds the light/fan. You need to replace the set going to the light/fan with a 3 conductor cable (12/3 or 14/3).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them