I am trying to run a bathroom fan and light on seperate switches. Currently, they run at the same time when the switch is on. Here are my circumstances:
Inside the switch box, I have three black wires, three white wires, and three ground wires.
Two of the blacks are wire-tied together, and a single wire from that wire tie is going into one terminal of the switch.
The third black wire is connected to the other terminal of the switch.
The three white wires are wire-tied together, and not connected to the switch.
The ground is connected to the ground (they are tied to one as well).
I am unsure how to seperate the loads. I bought a switch that is essentially a 2 in one. It has a spot for a "common" wire on one side, and two connectors on the other side. It has two switches on it. Do you need more information to help, or is this enough?
Oh, additionally, when I only hooked one of the two black wires (wire-tied together) to the switch, and the 3rd black wire to the other terminal of the switch, both the light and the fan worked at the same time.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- wiring bathroom fan and light to run seperately (a little different from earlier scenario)
From your description, it appears you will need another wire to run the fan and light separately. What you have is one set of wires bringing power in, one set of wires carrying power out to other points (these have the two blacks tied together), and one set that feeds the light/fan. You need to replace the set going to the light/fan with a 3 conductor cable (12/3 or 14/3).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes