I am trying to run a bathroom fan and light on seperate switches. Currently, they run at the same time when the switch is on. Here are my circumstances:
Inside the switch box, I have three black wires, three white wires, and three ground wires.
Two of the blacks are wire-tied together, and a single wire from that wire tie is going into one terminal of the switch.
The third black wire is connected to the other terminal of the switch.
The three white wires are wire-tied together, and not connected to the switch.
The ground is connected to the ground (they are tied to one as well).
I am unsure how to seperate the loads. I bought a switch that is essentially a 2 in one. It has a spot for a "common" wire on one side, and two connectors on the other side. It has two switches on it. Do you need more information to help, or is this enough?
Oh, additionally, when I only hooked one of the two black wires (wire-tied together) to the switch, and the 3rd black wire to the other terminal of the switch, both the light and the fan worked at the same time.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- wiring bathroom fan and light to run seperately (a little different from earlier scenario)
From your description, it appears you will need another wire to run the fan and light separately. What you have is one set of wires bringing power in, one set of wires carrying power out to other points (these have the two blacks tied together), and one set that feeds the light/fan. You need to replace the set going to the light/fan with a 3 conductor cable (12/3 or 14/3).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!