I am trying to run a bathroom fan and light on seperate switches. Currently, they run at the same time when the switch is on. Here are my circumstances:
Inside the switch box, I have three black wires, three white wires, and three ground wires.
Two of the blacks are wire-tied together, and a single wire from that wire tie is going into one terminal of the switch.
The third black wire is connected to the other terminal of the switch.
The three white wires are wire-tied together, and not connected to the switch.
The ground is connected to the ground (they are tied to one as well).
I am unsure how to seperate the loads. I bought a switch that is essentially a 2 in one. It has a spot for a "common" wire on one side, and two connectors on the other side. It has two switches on it. Do you need more information to help, or is this enough?
Oh, additionally, when I only hooked one of the two black wires (wire-tied together) to the switch, and the 3rd black wire to the other terminal of the switch, both the light and the fan worked at the same time.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- wiring bathroom fan and light to run seperately (a little different from earlier scenario)
From your description, it appears you will need another wire to run the fan and light separately. What you have is one set of wires bringing power in, one set of wires carrying power out to other points (these have the two blacks tied together), and one set that feeds the light/fan. You need to replace the set going to the light/fan with a 3 conductor cable (12/3 or 14/3).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs