I am trying to run a bathroom fan and light on seperate switches. Currently, they run at the same time when the switch is on. Here are my circumstances:
Inside the switch box, I have three black wires, three white wires, and three ground wires.
Two of the blacks are wire-tied together, and a single wire from that wire tie is going into one terminal of the switch.
The third black wire is connected to the other terminal of the switch.
The three white wires are wire-tied together, and not connected to the switch.
The ground is connected to the ground (they are tied to one as well).
I am unsure how to seperate the loads. I bought a switch that is essentially a 2 in one. It has a spot for a "common" wire on one side, and two connectors on the other side. It has two switches on it. Do you need more information to help, or is this enough?
Oh, additionally, when I only hooked one of the two black wires (wire-tied together) to the switch, and the 3rd black wire to the other terminal of the switch, both the light and the fan worked at the same time.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- wiring bathroom fan and light to run seperately (a little different from earlier scenario)
From your description, it appears you will need another wire to run the fan and light separately. What you have is one set of wires bringing power in, one set of wires carrying power out to other points (these have the two blacks tied together), and one set that feeds the light/fan. You need to replace the set going to the light/fan with a 3 conductor cable (12/3 or 14/3).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!