My husband and I recently bought our first home. The house was built in 1940 and at that time Ivy was planted throughout the entire front yard. As you can imagine, after 60 years it's very very deep and thick. I would like to replace this with grass. What is the best way to remove all this ivy?
I, too, bought an old house (circa 1920) with a LOT of ground Ivy. In fact, enough to kill off a couple of trees. I've been pulling it out and off my house for 3 years now. It seems to be getting a little thinner, (or maybe it's just killed everything else off!) But I would also be interested in a better way to get rid of it if someone has one!
One recommended way to kill off vegetable garden weeds is to cover with heavy plastic. The heat will kill off everything after a week or so. Ugly for the front yard but may work.
I agree with david... my Aunt had the same problem with pachysandra taking over her side yard... she mowed it over with a lawn mower (put the bag on first!!!) and then covered the whole area with black plastic - held down by bricks on the edges, and left it that way for practically all of August last year, and it was gone. good luck!
I have a semi-similar problem-- the "lower 40" at my new homestead has about 1-1/2 acre of Kudzu (and about half of that is the "double whammy" of Kudzu AND Privet hedge ). The approach I'm taking is to bush-hog it, and as it sprouts fromt the individual runners and tubers, spray it with Round-Up brush killer. And be persistent for a couple of years.
You probably won't need to go to this extreme, but something like this would be a quick way to nuke the Ivy.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers