A few months ago, I was cleaning my bathroom with some bleach and water, when I touched the faucet on the bathroom sink to rinse my hands.
I got quite a jolt. Naturally, I called an electrician. I asked him to come in and fix the problem. He looked around my house and poked a bit behind my breaker panel.
Eventually, he came to the conclusion that bonding my pipes would fix the problem, so he ran a copper wire in my furnace room between my hot pipe and water main where it entered the house.
He sent me another bill in the mail, which I never paid, but that's a whole other issue.
Now, about 3 weeks later, I took a shower and afterwards walked around a bit in my bare feet.
I brushed my teeth, touching the same tap on the bathroom sink. Zap! Another jolt. This time I was aware of my body position in the bathroom at the time of the shock. I noticed I had my bare wet feet on a brass threshold plate that was screwed into the floor under the doorway between the bathroom and the hall. Took out my multimeter, and ran a lead between the plate and the tap. 120 VAC.
Since then, I unscrewed the plate, in the hopes of lowering conductivity.
Seemed to be fine. Today, however, I was washing my hands after work, and noticed that the water was making my hands tingle. My stockinged feet were on the place where the plate was. There is some cheap nylon carpet under the plate. I can't believe I got a shock right through the carpet and my socks!!!
For now, I'm staying very clear of that place where the plate was.
Any suggestions? My plan is to try and rip up the bathroom linoleum and try and find where the exposed wire is. I'm kinda scared too that a guest might hurt themself too.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries