I have a 200A main panel, I'd like to add a 100A subpanel. It will be on an interior wall in an interior room of the basement.
I was planning to run the feeder wire through the floor joists, then down into the subpanel. I have a few questions:
1. Can I use a 100A main panel as a sub panel?
2. If so, do I need to do anything to it? (I've heard in a sub panel that the neutral bus and the grounding bus shouldn't be bonded?)
3. What gauge wire should I run? My guess is that the distance between the panels will be 40 feet.
4. Do I need to use conduit?
5. Does the subpanel need to have a grounding bar placed into the ground? I'm going to run a 100A breaker to this subpanel, so wouldn't the subpanel just make use of the bar in the main panel?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice...
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries