rotted wood and vinyl siding
We have been shopping around for vinyl siding. We have some rotted wood on our existing wood siding (clapboards). When talking to several contractors, we have been given different advice. One company wants to just cover over the rotted wood. A couple of others want to remove and repair the rotted wood. One company says there is so much rotted wood, that it will be cheaper to remove all of the clapboards and then install the insulation and siding. We then run the risk of additional cost if there is damage underneath the clapboards. What is the best way to go with this?
Repair the rotted material. I for one do not believe in covering over existing problems. Siding over it doesn't fix it. If the rotted areas are extensive, stripping the wall first may be the way to go. Any repairs needed under the original siding should be exposed and repaired no matter which way proceed because they are likely to be of a structural nature.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!