Does anyone know anything about bathroom ventilation systems? The fairly new Nutone ventilation units in the two bathrooms in my house don't seem to be doing the trick. After a shower, the moisture and steam seems to stick to the walls and mirror and does not dissipate for some time. The bathrooms are not large -- about 40 sq. ft. I've already called two electricians.
One recommended installing Panasonic 110 cfm exhaust fan units in each bathroom. He said he has no stake in what I choose because he makes his money on the labor, but that the supplier (who also sells FanTech products) said the Panasonic was a superior product.
The second recommended installing a FanTech 230 cfm unit in the attic and then running ductwork connecting that fan to vents in both bathrooms. He said that a ceiling unit like the Panasonic (and my Nutone) merely moves the air around and doesn't have sufficient force to pull the humid air out like the FanTech product.
I don't know the cfm of my current fans, but I think they're less than 110. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
To work properly, a bathroom fan needs three things: proper ducting to the outside, adequate airflow into the bathroom, and proper sizing for the room. Both the Fantech and the Panasonic are good products, but so are Nutone/Broan. Check to see that the existing fan is properly installed and crack a door open when running the fan to provide adequate airflow in.
6 yr old Broan Solitaire S130 bathroom fan - problems
Bathroom Ventilation Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs