Does anyone know anything about bathroom ventilation systems? The fairly new Nutone ventilation units in the two bathrooms in my house don't seem to be doing the trick. After a shower, the moisture and steam seems to stick to the walls and mirror and does not dissipate for some time. The bathrooms are not large -- about 40 sq. ft. I've already called two electricians.
One recommended installing Panasonic 110 cfm exhaust fan units in each bathroom. He said he has no stake in what I choose because he makes his money on the labor, but that the supplier (who also sells FanTech products) said the Panasonic was a superior product.
The second recommended installing a FanTech 230 cfm unit in the attic and then running ductwork connecting that fan to vents in both bathrooms. He said that a ceiling unit like the Panasonic (and my Nutone) merely moves the air around and doesn't have sufficient force to pull the humid air out like the FanTech product.
I don't know the cfm of my current fans, but I think they're less than 110. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
To work properly, a bathroom fan needs three things: proper ducting to the outside, adequate airflow into the bathroom, and proper sizing for the room. Both the Fantech and the Panasonic are good products, but so are Nutone/Broan. Check to see that the existing fan is properly installed and crack a door open when running the fan to provide adequate airflow in.
6 yr old Broan Solitaire S130 bathroom fan - problems
Bathroom Ventilation Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!