Does anyone know anything about bathroom ventilation systems? The fairly new Nutone ventilation units in the two bathrooms in my house don't seem to be doing the trick. After a shower, the moisture and steam seems to stick to the walls and mirror and does not dissipate for some time. The bathrooms are not large -- about 40 sq. ft. I've already called two electricians.
One recommended installing Panasonic 110 cfm exhaust fan units in each bathroom. He said he has no stake in what I choose because he makes his money on the labor, but that the supplier (who also sells FanTech products) said the Panasonic was a superior product.
The second recommended installing a FanTech 230 cfm unit in the attic and then running ductwork connecting that fan to vents in both bathrooms. He said that a ceiling unit like the Panasonic (and my Nutone) merely moves the air around and doesn't have sufficient force to pull the humid air out like the FanTech product.
I don't know the cfm of my current fans, but I think they're less than 110. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
To work properly, a bathroom fan needs three things: proper ducting to the outside, adequate airflow into the bathroom, and proper sizing for the room. Both the Fantech and the Panasonic are good products, but so are Nutone/Broan. Check to see that the existing fan is properly installed and crack a door open when running the fan to provide adequate airflow in.
6 yr old Broan Solitaire S130 bathroom fan - problems
Bathroom Ventilation Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects