Trying to replace a wall fixture.
Stupidly I didn't pay close attention to what was connected to what on the old one when I took it out.
New fixture has ground, black and white wires.
Box has: single red, single ground, and two pairs of what either could be black or white (all 4 wires look basically the same). Of those black/white sets, in each pair one comes from one cable in the box and goes out the other and the two are capped together.
It is (supposed to be and used to be) controlled by a wall switch.
I know obviously ground goes to ground, but I tried both combinations of black on the fixture and white on the fixture to the two pairs described above and both resulted in the fixture being on and the switch having no effect. I assume the red wire is part of my problem but I'm not sure exactly where it goes.
(full disclosure: I'm a relative novice at wiring and the height of the box and relatively short amount of slack on the wires is making this even harder)
Thanks so much.
Remote controlled 54" ceiling fan with light fixture...
Hard wiring a wall fixture
Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps