Trying to replace a wall fixture.
Stupidly I didn't pay close attention to what was connected to what on the old one when I took it out.
New fixture has ground, black and white wires.
Box has: single red, single ground, and two pairs of what either could be black or white (all 4 wires look basically the same). Of those black/white sets, in each pair one comes from one cable in the box and goes out the other and the two are capped together.
It is (supposed to be and used to be) controlled by a wall switch.
I know obviously ground goes to ground, but I tried both combinations of black on the fixture and white on the fixture to the two pairs described above and both resulted in the fixture being on and the switch having no effect. I assume the red wire is part of my problem but I'm not sure exactly where it goes.
(full disclosure: I'm a relative novice at wiring and the height of the box and relatively short amount of slack on the wires is making this even harder)
Thanks so much.
Remote controlled 54" ceiling fan with light fixture...
Hard wiring a wall fixture
Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY