Trying to replace a wall fixture.
Stupidly I didn't pay close attention to what was connected to what on the old one when I took it out.
New fixture has ground, black and white wires.
Box has: single red, single ground, and two pairs of what either could be black or white (all 4 wires look basically the same). Of those black/white sets, in each pair one comes from one cable in the box and goes out the other and the two are capped together.
It is (supposed to be and used to be) controlled by a wall switch.
I know obviously ground goes to ground, but I tried both combinations of black on the fixture and white on the fixture to the two pairs described above and both resulted in the fixture being on and the switch having no effect. I assume the red wire is part of my problem but I'm not sure exactly where it goes.
(full disclosure: I'm a relative novice at wiring and the height of the box and relatively short amount of slack on the wires is making this even harder)
Thanks so much.
Remote controlled 54" ceiling fan with light fixture...
Hard wiring a wall fixture
Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs