Trying to replace a wall fixture.
Stupidly I didn't pay close attention to what was connected to what on the old one when I took it out.
New fixture has ground, black and white wires.
Box has: single red, single ground, and two pairs of what either could be black or white (all 4 wires look basically the same). Of those black/white sets, in each pair one comes from one cable in the box and goes out the other and the two are capped together.
It is (supposed to be and used to be) controlled by a wall switch.
I know obviously ground goes to ground, but I tried both combinations of black on the fixture and white on the fixture to the two pairs described above and both resulted in the fixture being on and the switch having no effect. I assume the red wire is part of my problem but I'm not sure exactly where it goes.
(full disclosure: I'm a relative novice at wiring and the height of the box and relatively short amount of slack on the wires is making this even harder)
Thanks so much.
Remote controlled 54" ceiling fan with light fixture...
Hard wiring a wall fixture
Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools