Trying to replace a wall fixture.
Stupidly I didn't pay close attention to what was connected to what on the old one when I took it out.
New fixture has ground, black and white wires.
Box has: single red, single ground, and two pairs of what either could be black or white (all 4 wires look basically the same). Of those black/white sets, in each pair one comes from one cable in the box and goes out the other and the two are capped together.
It is (supposed to be and used to be) controlled by a wall switch.
I know obviously ground goes to ground, but I tried both combinations of black on the fixture and white on the fixture to the two pairs described above and both resulted in the fixture being on and the switch having no effect. I assume the red wire is part of my problem but I'm not sure exactly where it goes.
(full disclosure: I'm a relative novice at wiring and the height of the box and relatively short amount of slack on the wires is making this even harder)
Thanks so much.
Remote controlled 54" ceiling fan with light fixture...
Hard wiring a wall fixture
Ceiling Fan Wall Switch Wiring
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes