I am replacing a receptacle in my living room near my kitchen. The receptacle box has 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 grounding, and a yellow wire. I have lost the original receptacle and have not found any other matching receptacles in the house to refer to.
How do I rewire the receptacle with the yellow wire? Is the yellow wire a 2nd grounding wire? Do I need a receptacle with 6 screw connections or will a 5 screw receptacle work?
How are you determining that there are 2 hot and 2 neutral in the box? Because 2 separate hot circuits coming into a living room box would be rather unusual. (Unless one of them is switch-controlled. Was the original receptacle split, with half of it controlled by a wall switch?)
open up some nearby wall switches and see if you can find the other end of the yellow wire,then note where it's connected to then post back.
This receptacle was not connected to a light switch. With input from a plumbing and electricity shop I connected the copper grounding wire to the yellow wire with a nut and pigtail. Afterward I connected the pigtail to the grounding green screw on the receptacle. My wiring tester marked the receptacle wiring as "correct" when I tested it.
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Above ground pool wiring
combo timer/dimmer switches?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees