I am replacing a receptacle in my living room near my kitchen. The receptacle box has 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 grounding, and a yellow wire. I have lost the original receptacle and have not found any other matching receptacles in the house to refer to.
How do I rewire the receptacle with the yellow wire? Is the yellow wire a 2nd grounding wire? Do I need a receptacle with 6 screw connections or will a 5 screw receptacle work?
How are you determining that there are 2 hot and 2 neutral in the box? Because 2 separate hot circuits coming into a living room box would be rather unusual. (Unless one of them is switch-controlled. Was the original receptacle split, with half of it controlled by a wall switch?)
open up some nearby wall switches and see if you can find the other end of the yellow wire,then note where it's connected to then post back.
This receptacle was not connected to a light switch. With input from a plumbing and electricity shop I connected the copper grounding wire to the yellow wire with a nut and pigtail. Afterward I connected the pigtail to the grounding green screw on the receptacle. My wiring tester marked the receptacle wiring as "correct" when I tested it.
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Above ground pool wiring
combo timer/dimmer switches?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects