I am replacing a receptacle in my living room near my kitchen. The receptacle box has 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 grounding, and a yellow wire. I have lost the original receptacle and have not found any other matching receptacles in the house to refer to.
How do I rewire the receptacle with the yellow wire? Is the yellow wire a 2nd grounding wire? Do I need a receptacle with 6 screw connections or will a 5 screw receptacle work?
How are you determining that there are 2 hot and 2 neutral in the box? Because 2 separate hot circuits coming into a living room box would be rather unusual. (Unless one of them is switch-controlled. Was the original receptacle split, with half of it controlled by a wall switch?)
open up some nearby wall switches and see if you can find the other end of the yellow wire,then note where it's connected to then post back.
This receptacle was not connected to a light switch. With input from a plumbing and electricity shop I connected the copper grounding wire to the yellow wire with a nut and pigtail. Afterward I connected the pigtail to the grounding green screw on the receptacle. My wiring tester marked the receptacle wiring as "correct" when I tested it.
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Above ground pool wiring
combo timer/dimmer switches?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips