I am replacing a receptacle in my living room near my kitchen. The receptacle box has 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 grounding, and a yellow wire. I have lost the original receptacle and have not found any other matching receptacles in the house to refer to.
How do I rewire the receptacle with the yellow wire? Is the yellow wire a 2nd grounding wire? Do I need a receptacle with 6 screw connections or will a 5 screw receptacle work?
How are you determining that there are 2 hot and 2 neutral in the box? Because 2 separate hot circuits coming into a living room box would be rather unusual. (Unless one of them is switch-controlled. Was the original receptacle split, with half of it controlled by a wall switch?)
open up some nearby wall switches and see if you can find the other end of the yellow wire,then note where it's connected to then post back.
This receptacle was not connected to a light switch. With input from a plumbing and electricity shop I connected the copper grounding wire to the yellow wire with a nut and pigtail. Afterward I connected the pigtail to the grounding green screw on the receptacle. My wiring tester marked the receptacle wiring as "correct" when I tested it.
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Above ground pool wiring
combo timer/dimmer switches?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers