I am replacing a receptacle in my living room near my kitchen. The receptacle box has 2 hot, 2 neutral, 1 grounding, and a yellow wire. I have lost the original receptacle and have not found any other matching receptacles in the house to refer to.
How do I rewire the receptacle with the yellow wire? Is the yellow wire a 2nd grounding wire? Do I need a receptacle with 6 screw connections or will a 5 screw receptacle work?
How are you determining that there are 2 hot and 2 neutral in the box? Because 2 separate hot circuits coming into a living room box would be rather unusual. (Unless one of them is switch-controlled. Was the original receptacle split, with half of it controlled by a wall switch?)
open up some nearby wall switches and see if you can find the other end of the yellow wire,then note where it's connected to then post back.
This receptacle was not connected to a light switch. With input from a plumbing and electricity shop I connected the copper grounding wire to the yellow wire with a nut and pigtail. Afterward I connected the pigtail to the grounding green screw on the receptacle. My wiring tester marked the receptacle wiring as "correct" when I tested it.
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Above ground pool wiring
combo timer/dimmer switches?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight