When it snows w/ 20+mph winds, I am getting some snow in my attic (north end of house). According to my builder (house is only 9 months old) the snow is coming in through the ridge vent and this is not "unusual". His solution is to put a plastic tarp on the attic floor to catch the snow. My guess is that the ridge vent was installed improperly.
Has anyone else experienced this problem...and...come up w/ a solution?
Hi, during the recent blizzard, I got 2 piles of snow in my attic about a foot tall and 6 inches wide. It leaked down into the dry wall and ruined the tape job. Is this acceptable?
I also have the same problem. Brand new house and leaking ceiling in our 20' family room. Builder told me there is about 2 trash bags full of snow that have come in through the ridge vent, and it is not their responsibility to remove. We just had a major snowfall when we noticed the ceiling leaking. Is this typical? What could be the problem? What to check and who to call? I have little faith in this builder so its not unlikely they did something wrong. Please advise.
I would say that isnt acceptable at all actually. Unless there is a massive windstorm and lots of snow there should be that amount of anything in there. Contact a local professional to see what they think, they will have to check for leaks and see what you are seeing. and if you dont trust the builder consult a second opinion.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!