When it snows w/ 20+mph winds, I am getting some snow in my attic (north end of house). According to my builder (house is only 9 months old) the snow is coming in through the ridge vent and this is not "unusual". His solution is to put a plastic tarp on the attic floor to catch the snow. My guess is that the ridge vent was installed improperly.
Has anyone else experienced this problem...and...come up w/ a solution?
Hi, during the recent blizzard, I got 2 piles of snow in my attic about a foot tall and 6 inches wide. It leaked down into the dry wall and ruined the tape job. Is this acceptable?
I also have the same problem. Brand new house and leaking ceiling in our 20' family room. Builder told me there is about 2 trash bags full of snow that have come in through the ridge vent, and it is not their responsibility to remove. We just had a major snowfall when we noticed the ceiling leaking. Is this typical? What could be the problem? What to check and who to call? I have little faith in this builder so its not unlikely they did something wrong. Please advise.
I would say that isnt acceptable at all actually. Unless there is a massive windstorm and lots of snow there should be that amount of anything in there. Contact a local professional to see what they think, they will have to check for leaks and see what you are seeing. and if you dont trust the builder consult a second opinion.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees