I have seen a faux finish used on wood cabinets which I would like to duplicate. This finish has the look of old, peeling paint--but is a new finish. One home show, and I don't remember which one, said to use a base coat of natural glue, then apply latex paint. I don't know what is meant by "natural glue" nor did the show say if the glue needs to dry completely before applying the paint. Has anyone seen or heard of this type of finish? I would like to use it on part of my kitchen. Any ideas for a textured "old" look would be appreciated.
Crackling is a method that works by applying fast-drying waterbased paint or varnish over slow-drying oilbase while the first coat is still wet. The longer the delay between coats, the smaller the cracks will be. Apply a thin coat of oilbase varnish EVENLY. Let dry until slightly tacky. Brush a coat of water-based varnish over and cracks should appear quickly. When the second coat is completely dry, you can rub a darker artist's oil color into the cracks and wipe off to make the cracks more visible and "antique". I purchased an "Old World Crackling Kit" from Deco Art for antiquing some miniature pieces. I assume the paints were both acrylic, and it didn't work very well. Look in the library for books on faux finishes and paint techniques. Definitely test on scrap wood first -- it's a bit tricky. Good luck!
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
painting method to enhance existing plaster texture?
Wallpaper over faux paint finish
painting over faux finish
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!