I have seen a faux finish used on wood cabinets which I would like to duplicate. This finish has the look of old, peeling paint--but is a new finish. One home show, and I don't remember which one, said to use a base coat of natural glue, then apply latex paint. I don't know what is meant by "natural glue" nor did the show say if the glue needs to dry completely before applying the paint. Has anyone seen or heard of this type of finish? I would like to use it on part of my kitchen. Any ideas for a textured "old" look would be appreciated.
Crackling is a method that works by applying fast-drying waterbased paint or varnish over slow-drying oilbase while the first coat is still wet. The longer the delay between coats, the smaller the cracks will be. Apply a thin coat of oilbase varnish EVENLY. Let dry until slightly tacky. Brush a coat of water-based varnish over and cracks should appear quickly. When the second coat is completely dry, you can rub a darker artist's oil color into the cracks and wipe off to make the cracks more visible and "antique". I purchased an "Old World Crackling Kit" from Deco Art for antiquing some miniature pieces. I assume the paints were both acrylic, and it didn't work very well. Look in the library for books on faux finishes and paint techniques. Definitely test on scrap wood first -- it's a bit tricky. Good luck!
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
painting method to enhance existing plaster texture?
Wallpaper over faux paint finish
painting over faux finish
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!