I am looking for a way to end the plaster generalized shaling and flaking that basically attacks just one one room in our c. 1810 townhouse.
The house was refurbished by the previous owner, and the plaster (I believe) is about 30 years old. The plaster is VERY hard, bending over all types of nails except for tempered "super-nails". It is in excellent condition, except for this annoying flaking problem. The paint which was applied a few years ago (latex, I think) in many places no longer holds on, but instead hangs like so much cloth tacked to the walls.
The exterior walls are brick, and the room that is attacked is the ground floor dining room. The walls seem totally dry, there is no acute dampness problem that I can see.
I dream of some kind of plaster finish coat or white wash that could be applied to these walls that would penetrate the surface plaster and form a lasting bond. I wonder about the brown staining that often occurs when new plaster is adjacent to old plaster.
It definitely seems as if a specific chemical reaction is going on here, which, if attacked properly, could be solved once and for all. Any suggestions for what ails these walls and what is the proper course to correct them?
Thanks very much!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects