I am buying an old house with what once was a red brick fireplace. About 10 years ago, someone painted the fireplace white. I believe there is only one or two coats of paint. Anyone have any idea how I could remove the paint from the brick? Most of the ideas I've found seem to be for EXTERIOR use. Obviously I can't use those.
Thanks for any advice you have.
Doesn't that just make you mad? People just have to go slop paint all over everything. I wonder if the slob that did it considered what it would take to get it off. The only real viable thing would be to have someone come and sandblast. Brick is so porous that paint really gets in there good. You can rent the equipment to sandblast if you are up to the job. Just get a lot of plastic sheeting and build a dust enclosure around the area. Also mask the walls etc... with cardboard or something to prevent damage. You might try a combination of steam and a wire brush first or "safe stripper" and a wire brush but I doubt that you would get all of it off that way without major time and elbow grease. Good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!