I am buying an old house with what once was a red brick fireplace. About 10 years ago, someone painted the fireplace white. I believe there is only one or two coats of paint. Anyone have any idea how I could remove the paint from the brick? Most of the ideas I've found seem to be for EXTERIOR use. Obviously I can't use those.
Thanks for any advice you have.
Doesn't that just make you mad? People just have to go slop paint all over everything. I wonder if the slob that did it considered what it would take to get it off. The only real viable thing would be to have someone come and sandblast. Brick is so porous that paint really gets in there good. You can rent the equipment to sandblast if you are up to the job. Just get a lot of plastic sheeting and build a dust enclosure around the area. Also mask the walls etc... with cardboard or something to prevent damage. You might try a combination of steam and a wire brush first or "safe stripper" and a wire brush but I doubt that you would get all of it off that way without major time and elbow grease. Good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes