I am thinking about remodeling an old house. This 1880s (?) clapboard-sided structure has not had any paint for at least thirty years. I'd like to save the clapboards if possible, but I am not sure what problems to look for before ripping them off and replacing them. Any suggestions or suggested reading? Thanks.
Do not understand. You want to save the clapboards yet you are going to rip them off and replace them. Are they rotted or just in need of paint?
Sorry for the confusion. I want to save them /leave them in place. My husband thinks we may have to replace them becuase they've been unpainted for so long, . What information do I need to know to make this decision?
Wood is an unbelievable product. It has great resilency. What you need to do is to check the wood thoroughly for any signs of water or termite damage. In other words, look for any wood that is soft and falling apart. Since you receive alot of wind in Indiana, check that side well. Take a hammer, screwdriver or small pick and pound and bang around lightly. Look, also, close to the ground and around all windows and doors. If the wood seems solid then paint should bring it back to life. I am sure some replacement may be necessary, but, I would be surprised if the whole thing had to be torn down.
Stripping old, old 1925 paint...help!
best exterior paint for Atlanta
Peeling paint on new green board
How do you remove paint and old adhesive from drywall?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING