I am thinking about remodeling an old house. This 1880s (?) clapboard-sided structure has not had any paint for at least thirty years. I'd like to save the clapboards if possible, but I am not sure what problems to look for before ripping them off and replacing them. Any suggestions or suggested reading? Thanks.
Do not understand. You want to save the clapboards yet you are going to rip them off and replace them. Are they rotted or just in need of paint?
Sorry for the confusion. I want to save them /leave them in place. My husband thinks we may have to replace them becuase they've been unpainted for so long, . What information do I need to know to make this decision?
Wood is an unbelievable product. It has great resilency. What you need to do is to check the wood thoroughly for any signs of water or termite damage. In other words, look for any wood that is soft and falling apart. Since you receive alot of wind in Indiana, check that side well. Take a hammer, screwdriver or small pick and pound and bang around lightly. Look, also, close to the ground and around all windows and doors. If the wood seems solid then paint should bring it back to life. I am sure some replacement may be necessary, but, I would be surprised if the whole thing had to be torn down.
Stripping old, old 1925 paint...help!
best exterior paint for Atlanta
Peeling paint on new green board
How do you remove paint and old adhesive from drywall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs