I am thinking about remodeling an old house. This 1880s (?) clapboard-sided structure has not had any paint for at least thirty years. I'd like to save the clapboards if possible, but I am not sure what problems to look for before ripping them off and replacing them. Any suggestions or suggested reading? Thanks.
Do not understand. You want to save the clapboards yet you are going to rip them off and replace them. Are they rotted or just in need of paint?
Sorry for the confusion. I want to save them /leave them in place. My husband thinks we may have to replace them becuase they've been unpainted for so long, . What information do I need to know to make this decision?
Wood is an unbelievable product. It has great resilency. What you need to do is to check the wood thoroughly for any signs of water or termite damage. In other words, look for any wood that is soft and falling apart. Since you receive alot of wind in Indiana, check that side well. Take a hammer, screwdriver or small pick and pound and bang around lightly. Look, also, close to the ground and around all windows and doors. If the wood seems solid then paint should bring it back to life. I am sure some replacement may be necessary, but, I would be surprised if the whole thing had to be torn down.
Stripping old, old 1925 paint...help!
best exterior paint for Atlanta
Peeling paint on new green board
How do you remove paint and old adhesive from drywall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps