Loose Skim Plaster
My question is: would I need to reapply a skim-coating? Could I remove the skim-coating from my walls, apply the shellac, and paint without replacing the skim-coat? And, do you have any tricks for removing the skim-coating that is still bonded to the gypsum base? This would be a much easier solution than drywalling over the walls or reskimming.
Thanks in advance.
Shellac is a bond breaker
It may last a little while.....till some moisture hits it....then you'll need to start issuing hard hats at the front door!
Just remove the loose white coats and install new white coat with lime/gauging mix.
All will be just fine then.
plastering over wood panelling
Can you skim coat plaster over greenboard drywall?
Painting new plaster skim coated walls
Repairing plaster....MUST I skim coat?$$$$
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates