Loose Skim Plaster
My question is: would I need to reapply a skim-coating? Could I remove the skim-coating from my walls, apply the shellac, and paint without replacing the skim-coat? And, do you have any tricks for removing the skim-coating that is still bonded to the gypsum base? This would be a much easier solution than drywalling over the walls or reskimming.
Thanks in advance.
Shellac is a bond breaker
It may last a little while.....till some moisture hits it....then you'll need to start issuing hard hats at the front door!
Just remove the loose white coats and install new white coat with lime/gauging mix.
All will be just fine then.
plastering over wood panelling
Can you skim coat plaster over greenboard drywall?
Painting new plaster skim coated walls
Repairing plaster....MUST I skim coat?$$$$
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!