Removing Old Paint
I have an old house with several layers of paint on the wooden exterior. These layers tend to peel up when painted or show the line between bare spots and old paint. I want to remove the old paint and start fresh. I've tried scraping but not only is that time consuming, it also doesn't seem to remove all of the paint. Is there another way?? I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Suggestions please.
I used a DeWalt Random orbit sander with 40 grit 8-hole hook & loop sandpaper discs. The sander cost me about $90. The disks are expensive so buy them in a large quantity like 50 or 100 before you start. I kept going back to the store every few days or so and spent more on sandpaper than on the sander. The project took a long time but the results are well worth it. Porter-Cable sells a disk grinder like device for sanding lap siding for about $180 or so. It uses a 36 grit carbide disk that doesn't have to be replaced as often as sandpaper. I was afraid that this might remove too much too fast and damage my siding but I'm not sure.
Safetybug where are you?
Beware that lead and other airborn particulates will be released into the air and soil around the base of the wall. If you are concerned you should protect yourself...lungs, eyes & ears.
Safetybug where are you?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!