Removing Old Paint
I have an old house with several layers of paint on the wooden exterior. These layers tend to peel up when painted or show the line between bare spots and old paint. I want to remove the old paint and start fresh. I've tried scraping but not only is that time consuming, it also doesn't seem to remove all of the paint. Is there another way?? I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Suggestions please.
I used a DeWalt Random orbit sander with 40 grit 8-hole hook & loop sandpaper discs. The sander cost me about $90. The disks are expensive so buy them in a large quantity like 50 or 100 before you start. I kept going back to the store every few days or so and spent more on sandpaper than on the sander. The project took a long time but the results are well worth it. Porter-Cable sells a disk grinder like device for sanding lap siding for about $180 or so. It uses a 36 grit carbide disk that doesn't have to be replaced as often as sandpaper. I was afraid that this might remove too much too fast and damage my siding but I'm not sure.
Safetybug where are you?
Beware that lead and other airborn particulates will be released into the air and soil around the base of the wall. If you are concerned you should protect yourself...lungs, eyes & ears.
Safetybug where are you?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps