Removing Old Paint
I have an old house with several layers of paint on the wooden exterior. These layers tend to peel up when painted or show the line between bare spots and old paint. I want to remove the old paint and start fresh. I've tried scraping but not only is that time consuming, it also doesn't seem to remove all of the paint. Is there another way?? I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Suggestions please.
I used a DeWalt Random orbit sander with 40 grit 8-hole hook & loop sandpaper discs. The sander cost me about $90. The disks are expensive so buy them in a large quantity like 50 or 100 before you start. I kept going back to the store every few days or so and spent more on sandpaper than on the sander. The project took a long time but the results are well worth it. Porter-Cable sells a disk grinder like device for sanding lap siding for about $180 or so. It uses a 36 grit carbide disk that doesn't have to be replaced as often as sandpaper. I was afraid that this might remove too much too fast and damage my siding but I'm not sure.
Safetybug where are you?
Beware that lead and other airborn particulates will be released into the air and soil around the base of the wall. If you are concerned you should protect yourself...lungs, eyes & ears.
Safetybug where are you?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs