Removing Old Paint
I have an old house with several layers of paint on the wooden exterior. These layers tend to peel up when painted or show the line between bare spots and old paint. I want to remove the old paint and start fresh. I've tried scraping but not only is that time consuming, it also doesn't seem to remove all of the paint. Is there another way?? I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Suggestions please.
I used a DeWalt Random orbit sander with 40 grit 8-hole hook & loop sandpaper discs. The sander cost me about $90. The disks are expensive so buy them in a large quantity like 50 or 100 before you start. I kept going back to the store every few days or so and spent more on sandpaper than on the sander. The project took a long time but the results are well worth it. Porter-Cable sells a disk grinder like device for sanding lap siding for about $180 or so. It uses a 36 grit carbide disk that doesn't have to be replaced as often as sandpaper. I was afraid that this might remove too much too fast and damage my siding but I'm not sure.
Safetybug where are you?
Beware that lead and other airborn particulates will be released into the air and soil around the base of the wall. If you are concerned you should protect yourself...lungs, eyes & ears.
Safetybug where are you?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda