Removing Old Paint
I have an old house with several layers of paint on the wooden exterior. These layers tend to peel up when painted or show the line between bare spots and old paint. I want to remove the old paint and start fresh. I've tried scraping but not only is that time consuming, it also doesn't seem to remove all of the paint. Is there another way?? I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Suggestions please.
I used a DeWalt Random orbit sander with 40 grit 8-hole hook & loop sandpaper discs. The sander cost me about $90. The disks are expensive so buy them in a large quantity like 50 or 100 before you start. I kept going back to the store every few days or so and spent more on sandpaper than on the sander. The project took a long time but the results are well worth it. Porter-Cable sells a disk grinder like device for sanding lap siding for about $180 or so. It uses a 36 grit carbide disk that doesn't have to be replaced as often as sandpaper. I was afraid that this might remove too much too fast and damage my siding but I'm not sure.
Safetybug where are you?
Beware that lead and other airborn particulates will be released into the air and soil around the base of the wall. If you are concerned you should protect yourself...lungs, eyes & ears.
Safetybug where are you?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps