I have heard conflicting reports regarding the necessity of painting plaster walls with some frequency. I purchased an 80 year old house with plaster walls and would like to know the maintenance required.
I have also heard that wiping down the walls with water is sufficient but this seems odd - will this get through today's latex paint? Does one not use latex paint on plaster?? Any help greatly appreciated.
There is no set time period for painting walls. Most people will repaint as the need or their whim arises. Some people paint every year, 5, 10 years. Flat latex paint really cannot be washed very well as it tends to remove the paint. This is one reason why you can wash the walls with water. You are actually going to remove some of the paint with the scrubbing. Satin will stand up much better, while semi-gloss will withstand most anything.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers