I have heard conflicting reports regarding the necessity of painting plaster walls with some frequency. I purchased an 80 year old house with plaster walls and would like to know the maintenance required.
I have also heard that wiping down the walls with water is sufficient but this seems odd - will this get through today's latex paint? Does one not use latex paint on plaster?? Any help greatly appreciated.
There is no set time period for painting walls. Most people will repaint as the need or their whim arises. Some people paint every year, 5, 10 years. Flat latex paint really cannot be washed very well as it tends to remove the paint. This is one reason why you can wash the walls with water. You are actually going to remove some of the paint with the scrubbing. Satin will stand up much better, while semi-gloss will withstand most anything.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects