Our kitchen walls currently have wallpaper on them. I originally wanted to remove the current paper and update it with new but now have decidded that painting is really the best way to go. Will probably use a border as accent.
My question is, I know that using DIF and a paper tiger is the way to go to remove the paper. However, I've already peeled away a section of paper on a small wall and find that the wall has dark yellowed glue on it. What do I need to get to remove this and will using the DIF on the remainder of the walls prevent this problem. What sort of prep work needs to be done to the walls to paint after the wallpaper is removed?
I recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen. Didn't have much choice it was old and peeling from water leaking in through old windows. So when we moved in I said off with the old. I used a solution of Downy and water(2-1 ratio) to loosen up the glue used on the wallpaper. A bit messy but really worked. I then had to joint compound some areas that seemed to have been damaged. Just to even up the walls. Seeing I wanted a fresh start I KILZ all walls. Sealing them up. I used a base coat and then 2 coats of semi-gloss latex in the color that I wanted. Very even finish and extremly scrubbable. I used a self sticking border at the top( just because I am so fickle)so that I can remove it easily and change it whenever the mood stikes-which happens to be every few months. Best of luck.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING