Our kitchen walls currently have wallpaper on them. I originally wanted to remove the current paper and update it with new but now have decidded that painting is really the best way to go. Will probably use a border as accent.
My question is, I know that using DIF and a paper tiger is the way to go to remove the paper. However, I've already peeled away a section of paper on a small wall and find that the wall has dark yellowed glue on it. What do I need to get to remove this and will using the DIF on the remainder of the walls prevent this problem. What sort of prep work needs to be done to the walls to paint after the wallpaper is removed?
I recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen. Didn't have much choice it was old and peeling from water leaking in through old windows. So when we moved in I said off with the old. I used a solution of Downy and water(2-1 ratio) to loosen up the glue used on the wallpaper. A bit messy but really worked. I then had to joint compound some areas that seemed to have been damaged. Just to even up the walls. Seeing I wanted a fresh start I KILZ all walls. Sealing them up. I used a base coat and then 2 coats of semi-gloss latex in the color that I wanted. Very even finish and extremly scrubbable. I used a self sticking border at the top( just because I am so fickle)so that I can remove it easily and change it whenever the mood stikes-which happens to be every few months. Best of luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love