How to knockdown a popcorn ceiling
I watched a professional spray LIGHTLY with water while scraping it off with a wide putty knife. Make sure you cover EVERYTHING with plastic first. It will make a mess.
To do this you splatter the mixed joint compound onto the surface evenly(experiment on how heavy you like it on a piece of scrap drywall), let it sit for about 10 minutes, then you drag it lightly with a 10 or 12" taping knife. Do not use a fan or moving air, this causes problems. Use a taping pan to keep your knife clean. As far as the mixture goes depends on how heavy you want it to look. Start off by dumping a box of mud into a 5 gal bucket, add water up to about 2 or 3 inches from the top, mix until smooth. You will need to make samples on a scrap piece of drywall, the machine you use has several size holes for different effects, if it is powered by an air compressor set it at about 40 lbs and go from there, if it is a texture machine (without a hopper) these are very fast and can cause a mess, be carefull and move swiftly letting go of the trigger promtly when stopping. It is ok to come down on the wall a bit, this is going to make a mess, expect that, you can remove the overspray with a taping knife easily when it is not quite dry (if it is new dry wall, if it existing walls with texture, I would suggest covering them with plastic). Cover all doors and frames, trim and windows. If it get on something, don't panic, this stuff (joint compound) comes off easily with a wet rag.
Prime the surface AFTER the texture is applied and dry. You can use a regular water based drywall primer. Then paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers