I have a red brick fireplace that the former owner painted over with a white flat latex paint on the interior. I want to remove the paint to restore it. What is the best way? Thanks in advance.
I am not familiar with Peel Away, but I use Bix paint stripper, it come with a spray bottle. this stuff is irritating to the skin so wear gloves, it will literally bubble the paint off, use the instructions, I would spray it on, wait 15 minutes, apply again wait a few more minutes and scrape off using a plastic taping knife. If it is coarse brick, you may use a wire brush and a bucket of water after the above procedure. Other applications may be nessassary to remove all the paint within the coarsness of the brick. If you find you can't get it clean to your satisfaction, you can always repaint. I say it is worth a try. Remember this will make a mess, cover anything you don't want this stuff to get on. This includes the wall next to the brick, this stuff will peel any paint it comes in contact with.
Peel Away actually worked, although it was still time consuming and back breaking. It would have been a whole lot more work without it. Let's face it: this is no easy task. It removed the majority of the paint but it leaves a residue which can be washed away with water, and you'll want to get it cleared up before it has a chance to dry. After drying, it can still be removed, but it is more stubborn. For anyone out there looking to do this kind of project, it does work.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects