I have a red brick fireplace that the former owner painted over with a white flat latex paint on the interior. I want to remove the paint to restore it. What is the best way? Thanks in advance.
I am not familiar with Peel Away, but I use Bix paint stripper, it come with a spray bottle. this stuff is irritating to the skin so wear gloves, it will literally bubble the paint off, use the instructions, I would spray it on, wait 15 minutes, apply again wait a few more minutes and scrape off using a plastic taping knife. If it is coarse brick, you may use a wire brush and a bucket of water after the above procedure. Other applications may be nessassary to remove all the paint within the coarsness of the brick. If you find you can't get it clean to your satisfaction, you can always repaint. I say it is worth a try. Remember this will make a mess, cover anything you don't want this stuff to get on. This includes the wall next to the brick, this stuff will peel any paint it comes in contact with.
Peel Away actually worked, although it was still time consuming and back breaking. It would have been a whole lot more work without it. Let's face it: this is no easy task. It removed the majority of the paint but it leaves a residue which can be washed away with water, and you'll want to get it cleared up before it has a chance to dry. After drying, it can still be removed, but it is more stubborn. For anyone out there looking to do this kind of project, it does work.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers