I have a tudor cottage with a slate roof that is not vented anywhere. The roof seems to be in good condition but I want to finish off the attic. I know that typically baffles are placed between the sheathing and the insulation to allow for air circulation, however, as i said before, there is no venting of this roof (eave or ridge). Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
I will start off by saying I have no experience with slate roofs, typical ashphalt shingle roofs are vented at the eaves and at the ridge and of course baffles. I would contact a local contractor for exact requirements.
For what it's worth, I am not an expert either but can speak from experience regarding slate roofs. While a slate typically has a long life span, they are also rather fragile. Without knowing more, such as the material your house is sided with, I would consider leaving room between the interior of the roof peak and the ceiling in the attic space then, if possible, cut gable vents. Alternatively, depending on the material your sofit and eaves are made of, you may want to explore cutting eave vents. This would at least allow the area between the roof and attic ceiling to breathe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects