I have a tudor cottage with a slate roof that is not vented anywhere. The roof seems to be in good condition but I want to finish off the attic. I know that typically baffles are placed between the sheathing and the insulation to allow for air circulation, however, as i said before, there is no venting of this roof (eave or ridge). Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
I will start off by saying I have no experience with slate roofs, typical ashphalt shingle roofs are vented at the eaves and at the ridge and of course baffles. I would contact a local contractor for exact requirements.
For what it's worth, I am not an expert either but can speak from experience regarding slate roofs. While a slate typically has a long life span, they are also rather fragile. Without knowing more, such as the material your house is sided with, I would consider leaving room between the interior of the roof peak and the ceiling in the attic space then, if possible, cut gable vents. Alternatively, depending on the material your sofit and eaves are made of, you may want to explore cutting eave vents. This would at least allow the area between the roof and attic ceiling to breathe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes