I have a tudor cottage with a slate roof that is not vented anywhere. The roof seems to be in good condition but I want to finish off the attic. I know that typically baffles are placed between the sheathing and the insulation to allow for air circulation, however, as i said before, there is no venting of this roof (eave or ridge). Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
I will start off by saying I have no experience with slate roofs, typical ashphalt shingle roofs are vented at the eaves and at the ridge and of course baffles. I would contact a local contractor for exact requirements.
For what it's worth, I am not an expert either but can speak from experience regarding slate roofs. While a slate typically has a long life span, they are also rather fragile. Without knowing more, such as the material your house is sided with, I would consider leaving room between the interior of the roof peak and the ceiling in the attic space then, if possible, cut gable vents. Alternatively, depending on the material your sofit and eaves are made of, you may want to explore cutting eave vents. This would at least allow the area between the roof and attic ceiling to breathe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!