I have a tudor cottage with a slate roof that is not vented anywhere. The roof seems to be in good condition but I want to finish off the attic. I know that typically baffles are placed between the sheathing and the insulation to allow for air circulation, however, as i said before, there is no venting of this roof (eave or ridge). Any information or input would be greatly appreciated.
I will start off by saying I have no experience with slate roofs, typical ashphalt shingle roofs are vented at the eaves and at the ridge and of course baffles. I would contact a local contractor for exact requirements.
For what it's worth, I am not an expert either but can speak from experience regarding slate roofs. While a slate typically has a long life span, they are also rather fragile. Without knowing more, such as the material your house is sided with, I would consider leaving room between the interior of the roof peak and the ceiling in the attic space then, if possible, cut gable vents. Alternatively, depending on the material your sofit and eaves are made of, you may want to explore cutting eave vents. This would at least allow the area between the roof and attic ceiling to breathe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?