I plan on cleaning kitchen cabinets, not refinish or replace. I view a two step process: (1)clean with steel wool and WHAT? (TSP, Paint Thinner, or ?) (2) Apply oil finish that will not darken wood (Lemon Oil, Murphy's Oil Soap, or ?) (Linseed Oil, for instance won't work since it will darken wood.) Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Thanks.
I'm totally confused ...
Jay J -Moderator
Are the cabinets stained? Are they stained and polyurethaned? Are they metal? What?
I know you want to just clean them but you're saying an AWFUL lot here.
Jay J -Moderator
Further information: Cabinets are oak with stain. may or may not be additional sealer over stain such as polyurethane; unknown. top layers are a few coats of conventional household furniture polish. all having contributed over the years to masking the wood grain underneath and slight darkening from the original shade. Cabinets are not extremely polluted, just need to look a little fresher. thanks for yout interest.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates