I plan on cleaning kitchen cabinets, not refinish or replace. I view a two step process: (1)clean with steel wool and WHAT? (TSP, Paint Thinner, or ?) (2) Apply oil finish that will not darken wood (Lemon Oil, Murphy's Oil Soap, or ?) (Linseed Oil, for instance won't work since it will darken wood.) Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Thanks.
I'm totally confused ...
Jay J -Moderator
Are the cabinets stained? Are they stained and polyurethaned? Are they metal? What?
I know you want to just clean them but you're saying an AWFUL lot here.
Jay J -Moderator
Further information: Cabinets are oak with stain. may or may not be additional sealer over stain such as polyurethane; unknown. top layers are a few coats of conventional household furniture polish. all having contributed over the years to masking the wood grain underneath and slight darkening from the original shade. Cabinets are not extremely polluted, just need to look a little fresher. thanks for yout interest.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!