I plan on cleaning kitchen cabinets, not refinish or replace. I view a two step process: (1)clean with steel wool and WHAT? (TSP, Paint Thinner, or ?) (2) Apply oil finish that will not darken wood (Lemon Oil, Murphy's Oil Soap, or ?) (Linseed Oil, for instance won't work since it will darken wood.) Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Thanks.
I'm totally confused ...
Jay J -Moderator
Are the cabinets stained? Are they stained and polyurethaned? Are they metal? What?
I know you want to just clean them but you're saying an AWFUL lot here.
Jay J -Moderator
Further information: Cabinets are oak with stain. may or may not be additional sealer over stain such as polyurethane; unknown. top layers are a few coats of conventional household furniture polish. all having contributed over the years to masking the wood grain underneath and slight darkening from the original shade. Cabinets are not extremely polluted, just need to look a little fresher. thanks for yout interest.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps