I plan on cleaning kitchen cabinets, not refinish or replace. I view a two step process: (1)clean with steel wool and WHAT? (TSP, Paint Thinner, or ?) (2) Apply oil finish that will not darken wood (Lemon Oil, Murphy's Oil Soap, or ?) (Linseed Oil, for instance won't work since it will darken wood.) Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Thanks.
I'm totally confused ...
Jay J -Moderator
Are the cabinets stained? Are they stained and polyurethaned? Are they metal? What?
I know you want to just clean them but you're saying an AWFUL lot here.
Jay J -Moderator
Further information: Cabinets are oak with stain. may or may not be additional sealer over stain such as polyurethane; unknown. top layers are a few coats of conventional household furniture polish. all having contributed over the years to masking the wood grain underneath and slight darkening from the original shade. Cabinets are not extremely polluted, just need to look a little fresher. thanks for yout interest.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips